How to Avoid Tolls on Apple Maps? No one likes to be stunned by a toll road or toll bridge when you are driving around. They are the trouble that many of us would rather not have to deal with.
Luckily, apple maps provide great alternative directions that avoid toll and highway roads. If you are finding a way to avoid those pesky tolls, then this blog is for you. Here I will let you know a detailed guide on avoiding tolls on Apple maps.
However, the toll avoidance feature will squeeze the direction given by the Maps app to try to avoid tolls whenever possible, particularly. It means that you might have a longer commute or distance to travel, but at least you wouldn’t face any toll. Here’s how you can allow the toll avoidance feature in Maps for iOS.
Step-by-Step Guide to Avoid Tolls on Apple Maps
Apple maps let you modify a setting to avoid toll roads, but you can’t find the feature inside the app. when you toggle this feature, apple maps will avoid toll roads/highways. This way, when you search for a targeted location, the map will offer various routes showing distance and estimated driving time. So here are the steps to activate the toll avoidance feature.
- Launch the settings app.
- Choose Maps.
- Click on Driving under the Directions tab.
- Then, click on theHighways toggle to avoid highways to allow the feature.
- If you want to avoid roads, click on the Tolls toggle to allow the feature. (Toggles turn green when enabled).
Once enabled, when you search for directions in Apple Maps, it will automatically select a route with no tolls.
Avoiding Tolls on Trip-by Trip Basis
However, you can also avoid tolls for individual trips with the app. here is how you can do it.
- Launch the Apple Maps app and enter your destination.
- Click on “Directions,” but don’t tap on “Go” yet.
- Here, you will encounter small horizontal lines on the top of the search bar. So tap on it to launch more options.
- After all the multiple routes options, you will see an “Avoid” section, with options “Motorways: and “tolls.” Click on the toggle next to “Tolls” to allow it.
- Now, maps will show you the main route without any tolls, along with other paid ways.
- Last, hit the “Go” option for your preferred route.
Avoid Tolls & Highways in Apple Maps on macOS
Sometimes, there are scenarios when you have to go straight from work to the city, or you just live in the location where the toll road runs. Luckily, you have at hand a MacBook, which has a useful application Apple Maps, and through it, you can simply save money and not pass through the toll road.
- Launch Apple Maps on your Mac, tap on the View menu & select Directions.
- Now, tap on the Driving option and then choose to Avoid highways/tolls.
Is it Possible to Avoid Tolls on Apple Maps While Offline?
You wouldn’t wish to get lost in the center of nowhere, especially in a place where is no cellular service. Ensure you don’t end up going in circles when roaming to a remote area. Don’t worry. You can use iPhone maps even if you are offline. Before you go your route, here’s how you can do it.
- Ensure your “Location Services” is on.
- While connected to the connection, enter your destination and click on “Go.”
- Choose your desired route and allow it to load. Then wait for the destination to start.
- The route you will take will now be saved on your iPhone; you won’t require Wi-Fi or mobile data for maps to work.
How to Avoid Tolls on Google Maps
If you go through with a GPS app such as Google Maps, you get a heads up when tolls are on the planned route, and you can instantly plot out an alternative that avoids toll roads. The trip may take longer, but it could keep you safe from sitting in traffic, in addition to the toll cost. Here’s how you can do it.
- Launch the Google map app and enter your destination.
- Click on Directions (Ensure to choose driving directions).
- Opt for the triple-dot menu in the top-right corner.
- Now, tap on Route options from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the square next to Avoid tolls.
- Also, choose to avoid highways/tolls.
The process is slightly different on a desktop. First, you have to enter your destination, tap on Directions>options>, and choose the box next to Tolls under the Avoid section. However, on the mobile app, your toll preference remains the default, but that location is displayed above the map, so you can toggle it off if you do not want to avoid tolls on a specific trip. On a desktop, that location reset when you close navigation.
Toll roads can be an annoying surprise, particularly when choosing a place you haven’t been to before. Apple maps can assist you in finding great alternate routes that will keep you going well from highways and their toll booths.
However, the routes may be a bit longer, but the map will tell how long the alternative way is and the estimated time to reach the destination. Let us know if you have ever used this toll-avoidance feature. Did you find it helpful?