Want to know how to uninstall Cortana? We certainly got a way to get away from Microsoft’s virtual assistant, Cortana. On Windows 10, Cortana has been experiencing a lot of updates in the past many years. Starting with the May 2020 Update (version 2004), you’re now noticing a new version that leaves behind several of its functionalities and transfers focus on supporting you be more productive. The new chat-based interface will communicate primarily using the keyboard, but you can proceed to use voice.
In extension to deleting several non-productive features (like Notebook and Skills), one of the most significant shifts with Cortana is that it’s no longer a piece of Windows 10. Alternatively, it’s a regular application that you can move around and update via the Microsoft Store. More importantly, it opens the right to uninstall it. Though, if the digital assistant is not for you, it is likely to remove the program. In this Cortana guide, you will see the steps to uninstall the Cortana program on Windows 10.
Quick Guide to Uninstall Cortana in Windows 10
Uninstall Cortana Windows 10 Pro & Home
Windows 10 Pro. If you are a Windows 10 Pro user, you don’t require to create the files in the registry manually. To disable Cortana, attend the next measures:
- Navigate to Start, enter gpedit.MSc in the search field to start the Group Policy Editor.
- Go to Local Computer Policy -> Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Search.
- Double-click the file titled Allow Cortana. When the file window arises, press Disable.
Following these measures, you will not entirely stop Cortana’s process. It will live active when you open the Task Manager. It implies you have just disabled Cortana to complete its main functionality. If you hover a mouse pointer across the Cortana icon, you will see the message like “This UWP process group is suspending processes to enhance machine performance.”
Windows 10 Home. The method is slightly trickier and requires editing the Windows Registry. If you are not satisfied with this method, we recommend getting a backup or setting a restore point.
- Press the Start Key, type Regedit, and open it.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Policies -> Microsoft -> Windows.
- Press the right button of more on the Windows directory, and select New -> Key. Enter in Windows Search, and press enter.
- Choose Windows Search. In the right-hand side pane, right-click in the blank area and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value. Enter in AllowCortana, and press enter.
- Double-click AllowCortana, and enter in 0 under Value Data.
Restart your PC, and Cortana should now be gone. Rather than ask me anything, the new search box will only show Search Windows.
Uninstall Cortana for Current User
However, these instructions need a little tinkering, so be cautious. Since you will be poking around in PowerShell, back up your system to protect your data.
- Stat PowerShell window.
- Enter or copy-paste this listed command in PowerShell: Get-AppxPackage *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage.
- This command will uninstall Cortana for the current user account in your system.
Alternatively, you can delete Cortana for all users in Windows 10.
Uninstall Cortana for All Users
- Start PowerShell as Administrator.
- Enter or copy-paste this listed command in PowerShell- Get-appxpackage -allusers *Microsoft.549981C3F5F10* | Remove-AppxPackage.
- This command will uninstall Cortana for all users.
- When completed, you can close PowerShell.
If you don’t need to uninstall Cortana, but you are unsure if you need to use the application, you can easily disable it. This runs similar to how you would formerly disable Cortana if you did not use it.
- Just tap Ctrl + Shift + Esc hotkey to start Task Manager. Open the Startup tab.
- Choose Cortana from the list. Once highlighted, press the Disable button at the lower-right edge. This disables Cortana from ever starting up when you boot your system.
To let the settings take effect, restart your PC. When it starts, Cortana won’t rise this time or any other time unless you re-enable the steps. You might also need to remove Cortana from windows log if you have no intention to use it anymore.
If you change your thought, Cortana’s not left permanently. You may choose that the new version is not so bad after all. If so, you can reinstall Cortana at any time. All you have to perform is open the Microsoft Store.
- Type Cortana and hit enter. Press on the first result.
- Press Install to install the Cortana application. You will require to sign in with your Microsoft account to download the application.
Q: Is it OK to uninstall Cortana?
A: Users who attempt to keep their systems maximally optimized often search for ways to uninstall Cortana from windows. It is hazardous to uninstall Cortana thoroughly, and we suggest you disable it but not eliminate it. Besides, Microsoft doesn’t give an official opportunity to do this
Q: Does Cortana slow down Windows 10?
A: Microsoft intends that you employ its new voice-controlled digital assistant, Cortana. But, for it to work, Cortana requires you to always work in the background on your PC, listening out for your pronounced commands and collecting information about your activities. These methods can slow down your PC.
Q: Is Cortana always listening?
A: Windows Cortana is a novice to the personal digital assistant world. Though it’s now built into Windows 10, it is available as an application for Apple and Android, and Microsoft is working on bringing it to your vehicle. By default, Windows Cortana is not always listening; you have to press the Windows 10 search bar to switch it ON.
Q: Is Cortana safe to use?
A: If you use a computer, Xbox, or other Microsoft system, talking with Cortana can be a simple way to get things done while your hands are busy. But as with every voice assistant, beware of corporate snooping. Cortana talking is now transcribed in safe facilities, according to Microsoft organization.
Q: is it possible to limit Cortana Data collection?
A: If you wish to limit Cortana’s data, apply the steps below.
- Tap on the start> settings.
- Move to the Cortana settings panel.
- Now, just switch off every toggle.
- On the same page, move to change what Cortana knows about me in the cloud.
- Once you tap on it, a personal information section will emerge.
- Now, you have to scroll now & tap on the clear option.
Cortana, your potency assistant, helps you stay on top of what matters and save time getting what you look for. Just speak or type requests in general language to manage your schedule, connect with people, find a free hour, add a task, set a reminder, and more.
You can also discover local information, see definitions, and keep the freshest news, finance, and weather updates. But if you want to uninstall or disable Cortana, this guide will show you how to uninstall Cortana for all accounts or your account in Windows 10.