The error 0x80070643 message is commonly the result of system settings that were configured wrongly, a virus or malware contamination, missing or corrupted system files, a driver malfunction, or old versions of programs that weren’t killed perfectly when a new version was downloaded. A 0x80070643 failure can also show when a Windows laptop or desktop is shut down wrongly or disconnected from a power switch while in use.
If you believe you have malware or virus on your PC, run your antivirus software to ferret it out and delete it before doing anything else. This guide gives you the ways that can help you fix the kinds of 0x80070643 error:
Fix Error 0x80070643
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
The first thing we suggest that go for one of the Windows troubleshooters which could fix this issue without the requirement to use more complicated solutions. Windows has several troubleshooters created to instantly diagnose and automatically fix different kinds of computer issues. Troubleshooters can’t resolve all kinds of problems, but they are a great place to begin if you encounter an issue with your computer, operating system, or connected devices.
- To begin troubleshooting, navigate to Settings and type “troubleshoot” in the search box, choose “Troubleshoot” from the list.
- Now locate the Windows Update troubleshooter under “Troubleshoot” and elect it.
- Press the “Run the troubleshooter” button and Windows will begin fixing issues that prevent you from properly updating the Windows operating system.
See if this troubleshooter can fix the issue and solve the Update error 0x80070643. If not, then continue to the next trick.
Download and Install Updates Manually
To download and install updates manually on Windows, you will require to download them from Microsoft Update CatLog. The Microsoft Update CatLog is a website that gives updates for PCs running Windows OS. Built by Microsoft, the service gives a list of updates for businesses to distribute over a network. Security updates are published once a month on the official site, except in special cases; for example, in the event of a widespread computer worm or virus, Microsoft delivers an identical update as soon as possible.
Visit Microsoft Update CatLog and begin your search by entering the update number that should be provided next to the Windows Update error 0x80070643, for instance, KB4048955. Press “Search” and search for the appropriate version that entertains your operating system.
Rename the SoftwareDistribution folder
Error 0x80070643 can either obstruct you from installing updates or installing another software on Windows. This problem may occur either because of corrupted MSI software update registration or if the .NET Framework installation on the PC has become corrupted.
To fix this, it is prudent to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder. To rename the Software Distribution file, open an elevated CMD, Enter the following commands one after the other, and Press Enter:
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop bits
- rename c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
- net start wuauserv
- net start bits
Following remove the contents of the Catroot2 folder.
Clear Catroot2 folder contents
Both Catroot and Catroot2 are the significant files of the Windows operating system which are needed while the Update process of Windows is running. So, if you are suffering the problem while updating your Windows and getting an error message – 0x80070643, then reset the Catroot2 folder.
To reset the catroot2 folder follow this:
Open an elevated CMD, Enter the listed command one after the other, and Press Enter:
- net stop cryptsvc
- md %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old
- xcopy %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 %systemroot%\system32\catroot2.old /s
Following, clear all the data of the catroot2 folder.
Having done this, in the CMD windows, enter the listed command and hit Enter:
- net start cryptsvc
The Catroot folder of your PC will be reset, once you begin window Update again.
Run an SFC Scan to catch the Problem.
Consider an SFC scan like a routine doctor’s checkup for any problems except in this case it’s with your PC. It helps to classify where the issue lies and gradually move forward to solve it.
Here are the steps by you can do an SFC scan:
- Tap on the Start button to your bottom left-hand corner of the PC’s screen.
- Then, open CMD by typing it into the search box. You should see CMD pop up in the search. What you need to do is right-click on Command Prompt and then click on Run as an administrator.
- Then type ‘sfc /scannow’ (without the quotes). Then press Enter on your keyboard.
- Wait for the scan to be finished.
- Once it is finished, just close the CMD window and then just continue to try installing the Windows updates once again.
Repair and install .NET Framework
The .NET Framework performs important work in how your computer gets its updates. If this .NET Framework gets corrupted, damaged, or missing from your PC, then it would create your computer to fail to install updates.
This is critical because without updates your computer goes into chaos mode. It’s pretty easy to download and install .NET Framework by yourself, here are the steps to do so:
- Go to Microsoft’s NET Framework download page.
- Then, press on the newest version of .NET Framework which would be the version with the greatest number (at the top).
- The download should automatically begin. Otherwise, press the Try again button.
- Finally, open the downloaded file and then just follow the on-screen directions to install the new updated .NET Framework just like how you would install any new application.
Completed! You can try once again to attempt and run the Windows Update to view if it can be installed and the error 0x80070643 does not rise up.
Follow all the steps to resolve the 0x80070643 error code issue quickly if one is not working try to attempt another. Nonetheless, to withdraw the error 0x80070643 from happening again, it is recommended that you download the Windows Update tool. We hope this article was useful and you were able to solve the Windows Update error 0x80070643 by using one of our detailed methods.